The Meghalaya government has invoked the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act against those accused of damaging public and private property during the Khasi Students’ Union bike rally that turned violent in Shillong on Wednesday.
Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong, after reviewing the situation with senior officials on Thursday, said no major untoward incident had been reported till evening. He ruled out any night curfew but directed the district administration and police to remain vigilant, particularly during the night, to prevent further escalation and avoid panic among residents.
Authorities are using CCTV cameras and drones to identify those involved in vandalism and attacks on government and Assam-registered vehicles. Tynsong said the law would take its course against the perpetrators. He also confirmed that the Chief Ministers of Assam and Meghalaya were in contact over the developments.
The Deputy Chief Minister said the Meghalaya High Court had directed the government to submit an affidavit in connection with the suo motu public interest litigation initiated after vehicles parked inside the court premises were also attacked. He said permission for the rally had been granted on the assurance that it would remain peaceful, but several participants allegedly covered their faces, raising questions about their intentions.
An invitation to the KSU for talks with the Chief Minister was reportedly declined, although Tynsong reiterated that the government remained open to dialogue. He also said the issue of Meghalaya vehicles being stopped at Khanapara and Jorabat had been resolved following intervention by the Chief Secretaries and police chiefs of both states.
Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar termed the violence unfortunate and said both governments were working to restore normalcy. Education Minister Lahkmen Rymbui meanwhile appealed for restraint amid concerns over possible repercussions for Meghalaya students in Assam, stressing that students should not be made to suffer because of an isolated incident.
Political leaders and civil society groups also condemned the violence. Voice of the People Party chief Ardent Miller Basaiawmoit supported peaceful agitation and criticised both the violence and alleged shortcomings in security arrangements. Former MLA Jemino Mawthoh condemned the vandalism and called for those responsible to be dealt with according to law.
The Federation of Khasi Jaintia and Garo People urged the government to defuse tensions and address the issues raised by the KSU. Its president Dundee Cliff Khongsit criticised the police operation at the KSU office and alleged damage to property and the use of tear gas.
Thma U Rangli also condemned the violence, saying assaults, vandalism and destruction of public property were unacceptable and had diverted attention from legitimate grievances. The group called for legal action against those responsible while urging the government to remain responsive to public concerns.
At a special meeting, the Khasi Jaintia Christian Leaders Forum and the Synjuk ki Nongsynshar Shnong ka Bri Hynniewtrep appealed for peace and harmony. They criticised the late-night use of tear gas in a residential area and urged authorities to uphold the rule of law while focusing on reform and reconciliation.
The All India Forward Bloc’s Assam unit also strongly protested the alleged vandalism of statues of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and Swami Vivekananda in Shillong. The party has sought a judicial inquiry and appropriate legal action against those responsible.
